Healthcare investor insight, interviews with Impact Healthcare REIT and Minster Care Group and analysis of the CMA report into care homes. Just some of the content in this quarter’s CBRE Healthcare MarketView.
In this issue:
- Retirement Living sector overview.
- We have analysed and identified key trends and opportunities in the retirement community space using CBRE bespoke analytics software Pulse.
- We interview two leading operators that are innovating in the retirement living sector: Sandra Stark – Director of Retirement Living at Hawthorns Brand part of Avery Healthcare Group and Simon Ringer – Head of Property Funds Bridges Fund Management.
In this issue:
- Operators landscape – We analyse the corporate elderly care landscape that has changed markedly in a little over two years.
- We interview Jeremy Richardson, CEO at Four Seasons Health Care’s brighterkind brand, to find out how product differentiation, investment and systems development are shaping strategy for care homes now and in the future. We analyse the brigtherkind portfolio using CBRE bespoke analytics software Pulse.
- CBRE Pulse – Real-time competition, demographic, regulatory, planning and house price information combined in a single source to give developers, investors and operators a powerful decision-making tool.
- Lisa Attenborough, Director Debt Advisory, discusses lending trends in the Healthcare sector.
In this issue:
- We interview Seamus Halton, Owner of Berkley Care Group, to understand what operational challenges he faces and how attractive the private pay elderly care sector remains.
- Leveraging operator relationships is a major driver behind scale transactions in the elderly care sector.
- Long Income is impacting the Healthcare market in an increasingly positive way.
- Healthcare REITs and specialist funds continue to outperform and are becoming a key financing mechanism for providers delivering operational excellence.
- Specialist care is increasingly attractive to global capital. Further consolidation is likely, as is the use of alternative financing structures that leverage real estate value.
- Real estate investors are pricing operational risk by analysing local supply dynamics and interrogating demand drivers in more detail than ever before.
In this issue:
- Health & Social Care fundamentals remain unchanged; demand will continue to grow, requiring a real estate response and the occupational market is unlikely to be negatively impacted.
- Healthcare REITs have materially outperformed Core Real Estate over the last 2 weeks.
- We consider it likely that in the short term, the UK Government will spend more on the NHS.
- The movement in gilt pricing makes Long Income Real Estate more attractive whilst the change in Sterling should benefit overseas investors.
- Trade Buyers who can see their way to add value by strategic moves or by driving operational performance now have probably their best opportunity for years.
Other, Specialist, Alternative, Operational or Non-Core markets; however you define it, indicators are telling the same story – capital has turned towards the non-traditional sectors with new investors dominating. US REITs continue to drive the agenda in Healthcare, real estate capital is active around Pubs and international capital has been very busy in the Leisure sector. This momentum has been building since 2012 when investors started to see pricing opportunities opening up, driven by the combined impacts of wider malaise, Southern Cross in Healthcare, rapidly accelerating closures in Pubs and evaporation of discretionary spend in the Leisure markets. The bold investors willing to deploy were well rewarded.
CBRE’s healthcare team examines the structural issues that are driving growth across primary care, care homes, hospitals and specialist care. In 2015, £2.8 billion was invested in these markets – including almost £1 billion of total investment by US and Overseas Real Estate Investors. This paper sets out how innovative partnerships are emerging between NHS trusts and the private sector and considers how factors such as the National Living Wage and the serviceability of debt are being addressed.
Welcome to CBRE's UK Real Estate Market Outlook for 2016 and beyond. In this report we set out our prediction on the key trends likely to affect UK property markets over the next 12 months. (See pages 25 - 26 for the Healthcare market focus)
There is over £550 million worth of care home stock in the market currently. In this issue of MarketView we look at the challenges and opportunities resulting from the widening gap between public-pay elderly care homes and the premium private-pay market.
Trade buyers’ return increases competition for limited stock
UK institutions appetite for healthcare grows
Transformational year for UK Healthcare
If 2014 was the year Specialist Markets became mainstream, 2015 will be the year Pubs, Leisure and Healthcare move to centre stage. There are exciting times ahead, all our markets are experiencing great change which presents opportunities for the expert and informed investors.
HealthInvestor magazine Twitter feedTweets by @HealthInvestor
For all white paper, thought leadership and round tables please contact:
T: 0207 451 7062
For editorial enquiries please contact:
T: 020 7451 7069
London SW1Y 4RF
Tel: 020 7104 2000